Monday, June 9, 2014

Bathroom Renovation Bloopers


We're deep in the throes of bathroom renovations and like with any good DIY project, there have already been more mishaps than I can count. Because it's still early in the overall remodeling of our home, I still have my sense of humor and although I hope it stays intact until we hang our last picture on our freshly painted walls, there are no guarantees...

But for now, I'm finding the bloopers entertaining.

Our pink bathtub was made of cast iron, which meant getting it out was not going to be easy. Mr. W tried putting it on Craigslist in hopes that some vintage-lover would bring 5 friends and emancipate it from our property, but after a couple days he got antsy and decided he would "remove" it himself.

And out came the sledgehammer.


He did most of the big hits and then asked me if I wanted to take a swing. I waltzed over, whacked it once, got hit in the nose by a piece of flying debris (please ignore the crows' feet and large pores below), and immediately started bleeding. I'm so lucky it didn't get me in the eye because I wasn't wearing safety glasses. (Note: ALWAYS wear safety glasses when you're smashing things. Not only does it make you look more official, it could save you from a future pirate's patch.)


After we got all the shards of tub cleaned up and relocated to our side yard (for eventual transfer to the dump), we were left with a hole in the floor where the pipes connected to the tub. Of course, we lost a cat down that hole a day later... She went spelunking and took her sweet time coming back when we yelled her name into the crawlspace. Finally, with a plate of cat food in one hand, I was able to reach down and grab her by the scruff of her neck with the other hand. She's been grounded all week.


Mr. W successfully installed the new shower valve and was trying to remedy a tiny drip coming from one of the pipes when he accidentally turned the water on and shot it from the shower head pipe right down onto his crotch. I stood by and laughed hysterically like any good helper would.

The latest endeavor was the installation of two retro-looking globe pendant lights over the sink. Of course they presented some sort of wiring issues which forced Mr. W to suit up and venture into the attic multiple times to get everything sorted out. Thankfully he got them fixed up this morning so we (read: he) can move on to the next thing: tiling the shower.

I'm not yet posting any pictures of our latest progress, but I will give you a little tease of the bathroom's new materials, along with some of our inspiration pictures from Pinterest. Enjoy!



Source

Source

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe you've already shed blood for that bathroom! Now that's commitment. Or love. Or madness. Not sure which yet. Good PSA on the safety glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's mostly madness. I wonder if I could talk the safety goggle industry into letting me be their spokeswoman... Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh well. Renovations are never easy, much more for bathrooms because there are lots of things to be concerned about, with all those pipes and plumbing concerns. It can be less of a chore though, and even lesser a stress factor, since the efforts can be pretty much dispersed. Depends on how you'll go about it. Good thing there are people out there who can help us check the pipelines and drains. I hope everything's doing good with the renovation, if it's not yet done. All the best!

    Traci Romero @ Harris Plumbing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renovating a bathroom is one can be both tough and time-consuming, simply because of the damage that you might discover along the way, especially the plumbing-related ones. But it’s good to see that you still have a good sense of humor, despite the challenging job. Sometimes, a good laugh is what people need to stay happy, despite the situation they are facing. And hopefully, you won't have to do it again for quite some time.

    Levi Eslinger @ Capital Plumbing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that everything is coming to what you've been visualizing. Whether it be in the seemingly menial things, such as the drain work and the pipes, I can see that the renovation is coming along well. Kudos to you for a job well done! Thanks for sharing!

    Roxanne Vaughn @ Total PLBG

    ReplyDelete

Well, whatdya think?