Thursday, July 2, 2015

Showering With Homer


If you  haven't already heard, California is in a nasty drought right now. Brown is the new green when it comes to lawns. Trees are in distress everywhere. Riverbeds are bone dry. Being a third-generation CA girl, this breaks my heart. So I decided to do something that others have championed during past times of regional dehydration.

I got myself a shower buddy.

And it's not my husband.

He's strong and smooth. My naked legs always brush against him as I step into the tub. He takes up a fair amount of space, but I don't mind.

"Let's do this," he says.

And there in the steam and spray, we do.

He collects the extra water while I wash the funk from my frame.

He is my Home Depot 5-gallon bucket. And I call him Homer. 

It's pretty amazing how full he gets during each shower. Just using him under the faucet when I'm warming up the water allows me recycle a gallon or two. Add that to the drops he catches while I'm washing my hair and bod, and I've got close to 4 gallons after every one of our little trysts.

I was hopeful that if I dumped him on our dead grass (dead, thanks to many subcontractors driving over it for weeks on end...and us not watering it)...anyway, I was hopeful that I'd be able to bring the grass back to life.

Homer has his work cut out for him there.


He's been doing a dandy job of keeping our baby fruit trees watered, though. And for now, we can do without the grass. By the time we're ready to make it green again, we'll be re-landscaping to make things more drought-tolerant anyway.

Even if the drought ends, I might keep Homer around, though.

I'm getting pretty used to showering with my friend.


1 comment:

  1. There's a joke here somewhere about Homer making you wet, but I can't quite get to it. I'll keep working on it.

    ReplyDelete

Well, whatdya think?