Thursday, July 16, 2015

What We're Making: A Wall-Mounted Jewelry Holder


A couple weeks ago I posted a little DIY project to Instagram and when my pal Meg from A Daily Dose of Balance asked for a tutorial, I knew a step-by-step post was in order.

Besides, it's been awhile since I shared a "What We're Making" story.

After seeing a bagillion cute jewelry holding solutions on Pinterest, I was jonesing to make one for our new closet. And in my stash of random things longing to become craft projects, I had a wooden box that used to hold kids' puzzles. I nabbed it at the Goodwill probably 4 years ago and hung onto it all this time. My little Cinderella just waiting for her ball.

The first step was finding some sort of dowels to use as earring holders. I grabbed a handful of shish-kabob skewers to see if they would work and it turns out they're the perfect size. Bam.


Next I gave the skewers and the casing a good spray with some high gloss white Rustoleum.


After they were dry enough (I probably should have let them dry overnight but I had decorating ants in my pants...), I brought them in and drafted a template for the holes we needed to drill to insert the skewers. I love graph paper so much. When I was little, I used to steal it from my dad and sketch up elaborate floor plans of the houses I planned to own one day...when I had 2 kids and 2 dogs and unlimited finances at age 24. Ah, the ignorance of youth.


Mr. W stepped in to help with the drilling (Not that I couldn't do it. I own my own drill, ya know. His was just warmed up already).


Once we had the holes in there, we trimmed the spiked ends off the skewers and slid them into the holes. Fit like a glove. I attached picture hangers to the back and it was ready to go up on the wall.


Makes me smile every time I walk in the closet and see it. And so far, it's held together like a champ. My Cinderella skewers aren't just great for teryaki chicken, they hold hoops and chandeliers like nobody's business.


1 comment:

  1. I am extremely impressed along with your writing abilities, Thanks for this great share.

    ReplyDelete

Well, whatdya think?